We appreciate the support and enthusiasm of our loyal customers, and we are very pleased to continue offering our Friend of the Farm Card this coming farm season! This is our 7th year offering the Friend of the Farm Card. Our customers tell us they enjoy the flexibility and freedom to make purchases when they need them, and they love supporting our farm in such a meaningful way.
The Friend of the Farm Card is an alternative to weekly CSA subscription box shares, and will provide you more flexibility in buying the amount and variety of produce you want when you want it.
Here are the highlights:
- Choose the “Friend of the Farm Card” that best meets your needs. Our farm card is available in three values ($150, $300, $450).
- Use your card like a debit card to buy Riverhill produce at the Saturday Nevada City Farmers’ Market, 25 weeks from June 3rd through November 18th.
- Use your card during weekly open hours on Wednesdays at our farmstand at the farm where you can take advantage of u-pick produce and our weekly list of available produce. Our farm season will run from May to November (and we’ll announce it by email).
- This year, the farm stand will also be open on many Sunday mornings during berry season from July to September for u-pick berries (also announced by email).
- Use it for bulk purchases for canning or special orders.
- Receive our weekly email with weekly produce availability list and recipes.
- Receive 10% increased value if you purchase your card before April 30, 2017.
- Receive 5% increased value if you purchase your card before June 15, 2017.
- If you use up the value of your card before the end of the season, you can always use cash or checks to purchase your produce.
- Any remaining card balance at the end of the season may be carried over for use the following season, but must be used that 2nd season.
After five successful years providing CSA shares to our community, in 2012 we decided that we can better meet the demands of our community for local fresh produce by offering a more flexible alternative to weekly subscription box CSA shares. Our Friend of the Farm Card will allow you to choose from our seasonal selection of produce every week of the season and purchase the amount you want when you want it.
You can use your Riverhill Farm card at our stall at the Nevada City Farmers’ Market, where you can also shop for other locally grown produce and items. You can also use the card at the farm’s farmstand, open weekly on Wednesday afternoons from 2 to 6 p.m. and on some Sunday mornings during berry season. While you are at the farm, you’ll have the option to enjoy picking strawberries, raspberries and blackberries along with cherry tomatoes and other seasonal u-pick options. You’ll be able to use your card at the farm to purchase what’s seasonally available from our fields that week, picked fresh that day.
By purchasing your Farm Card, you will be providing us the early season capital and support that is essential to our survival as a small, family farm. Each year, we spend more than half of our annual farm expenses between January and June at a time when, because of our local climate, we have little or nothing to sell. Your purchase of a farm card provides our farm with the capital necessary to get everything done so that we have a full assortment of produce by the time of the first markets in June.
This is a partial list of what we grow. Some of these produce items are available seasonally, such as tomatoes, and others are available every week, such as lettuce. We grow many varieties of some of these crops, as with tomatoes, of which we grow at least 15 varieties in a season. Arugula, Basil, Green Cabbage, Napa Cabbage, Red Cabbage, Green Beans, Beets, Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Chard, Cucumber, Fennel, Kale, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Melons, Raspberries, Blackberries, Chicory and Radicchio, Rhubarb, Radish, Summer Squash, Winter Squash, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant, Salad Turnips, Culinary Herbs, Sweet Potatoes.
The same card can also be used for special orders and bulk purchases from the farm, such as boxes of tomatoes for sauce or oven-roasting, or berries for jam.
Sign-ups will start the first week of February, and if you are on our email list, you’ll get notice of the opportunity by email. There is an easy-to-use online signup form that will take your order, which is confirmed when you send us a check for the amount of your card.
Here are your choices for your Friend of the Farm Card
(with the added value if you purchase by 4/30/18)
The “Lettuce Farm for You” Card
$150 ($165 value, or less than $7 per week for our 25 week season)
The “Berry Good Farmers” Card
$300 ($330 value, or less than $14 per week)
The “Heart Beet of the Farm” Card
$450 ($495 value, or about $20 per week, enough for a small family or a lot of good veggie eating. Can be used for bulk purchases, too)